Saturday, April 9, 2011

Welcome to my Bunny &TV Blog!

Pictures of bunnies and T.V. - two things I enjoy to escape reality. Here you will find them combined. I watch most of my T.V. on Netflix, the Internet, or my digital rabbit ears, so my remarks are limited to what is available there. Below are my inaugural snippets of things I watched lately, guilty pleasures and all. Thanks to Charm City Cineaste for the inspiration. Enjoy!

*Daily Show with Jon Stewart from Thursday. Jon Stewart rarely does impersonations, leaving most of the brilliant satire of FOX to Stephen Colbert. Stewart's Glenn Beck impersonations provide the one shining exception. Don't miss what may be his last hurrah with Beck.

*Downton Abbey - I usually don't go for period dramas, but this one gets the combination right. It's set at the downfall of the British ruling class from the perspective of women and the working class. A rare treat on Netflix Instant.

*iCarly - Rarely can I express much hope for the Internet generation, but somehow this T.V. reminds me that the kids are alright - adults are the zany ones.

*Thirtysomething -On the eve of my thirtieth year, I thought this might give me some insights to prepare. Mostly, though, it's just insights into being a whining yuppie, so I couldn't even make it all the way through Season 1. The hair scrunchies and sweaters were fun to watch, though.

*30 Rock - Is it just me, or is there something off about this season? I felt like the faux reality t.v. episode was a jump the shark moment, but I also don't want to admit it because it's been so good. I'll give it at least another season or two.

*Dexter Season 3 - It's super formulaic by now, but somehow the suspense keeps me coming back for more. If it weren't for that and my deep love for Michael C. Hall from "Six Feet Under," I don't know if I would keep watching it. The whole premise of the show - that a serial killer is justified in killing people that get away with criminal activity - is pretty flawed, but then again, I've never mustered much interest in the whole serial killer phenomenon.

*Mad Men Season 3 - This was the tough one with giving up cable last year, so I broke down and downloaded it on itunes. The whole season is worth it just for the moment with the 3 women in the elevator together, and the reminder that Don is no hero.

*Skins - Not sure how I came across this at first, but it's a brilliant British show about gritty teenage life. Too bad Americans were too squeamish to make a decent version of their own.

*Nurse Jackie Season 2 - Edie Falco blew me away in The Sopranos, so this character drama centered around her as a nurse addicted to painkillers had to be good. After the first season ended in a cliff hanger, I couldn't wait to get my hands on this one. It didn't disappoint.

*Teen Mom2 - A terrible train wreck of a show, but I can't look away. Inevitably the supposed anti-teen pregnancy message gets lost, and there's no telling all the trauma that the addition of t.v. cameras has on these kids' complicated lives.

*Big Love Season 4 - Another flawed premise for a show, but I'm hooked. This season continued in ridiculousness with a "GASP!" moment every five seconds. I did enjoy the subplot about gay Mormons, though. I keep hoping the ladies will get it on with each other at some point, but it's not really that kind of show.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, thirtysomething. I haven't thought about that show in years. I do remember thinking that when it first aired that it was important somehow. It wasn't a show for boring old people, stupid kids, or even stupider teens. Instead it was a show about adults having adult experiences handled intelligently. It felt progressive (in a television sense). I also remember that I stopped watching before the first season ended. So while I don't think it lived up to its promise, maybe it helped pave the way for the Golden '90s (Twin Peaks, Northern Exposure, and The Simpsons). Of course reading your review confirms my feeling about the show and its ultimate failure. Also, adult dramas, muck like sit-coms, don't generally age well (what's dramatic for adults in one era won't be for adults in another).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave - I guess I would have to know more about T.V. pre-thirtysomething. I am working on a similar theory about My So Called Life. It's interesting to think about them not holding up over time - why shouldn't they hold up over time like any other medium? Other shows - like Twin Peaks - hold up over time.

    woowoo - Poor Jace, indeed. I feel bad for all of them, really.

    ReplyDelete