Monday, October 10, 2011

Takeoff

Finally, time for fall - hope springs eternal to try out some new series, though still relying on some good standbys.

*The Simpsons Season 23 - is off to its usual uneasy start. One good episode, one mediocre episode. It's still the highlight of my Sundays, and will continue to be for at least a couple more years.

*Seinfeld Seasons 6 and part of 7 - The characters develop more of a mean streak in these seasons, which I do not enjoy as much. "The Sponge" was always a standout. And who can forget the infamous "Soup Nazi"? In those innocent days back before every political commentator uses the comparison and means it about the other party....

*Mad Men Seasons 2-4 - Honestly, it got a little tedious near the end re-watching this, although I did pick up on a few interesting little things I hadn't noticed before - how Freddy Rumsfeld clues Don in on Peggy's talent and Dr. Miller's apt prediction that Don would marry within a year.

*Project Runway Season 9 - Finally starting to pick up a bit now that it's narrowed down a bit, after two too many 70s challenges. The "Rolling Stone" episode was particularly terrible.

*America's Next Top Model All Stars - I watched a little bit of the new season for old time's sake, but it was even worse than I remembered it, and I just can't even watch it to laugh at it anymore.

*The Office Season 8 - I want it to still be good, but it's just not anymore. They should have called it quits a couple seasons ago.

*Parks & Recreation Season 4 - Leslie and Ron still make me laugh, but Ann's subplots leave something to be desired.

*Whitney - This came on just after the Thursday night NBC line up, so I gave it a shot. It was kind of funny for a minute, and then fell a bit flat. Oh well.

*Up All Night - I loved Maya Rudolph in "Bridesmaids," so I wanted to love this, but I couldn't. The parenting thing kills it. Why are there so many shows with cute, hip young couples trying too hard to make their lives interesting?

*Eastbound & Down Season 2 - I laughed so hard at the first season of this ridiculously offensive show, but they took a wrong turn down in Mexico and really lost their way. Maybe it's the sort of thing that's only funny for about one season.

*Colbert Report - Another episode with my favorite guest, Trevor Potter, this time with a Delaware shell corporation ready to be formed into a 501(c)(4) for Colbert SuperPAC's anonymous donations.

*Prohibition Episode 1 - I am not a history buff, but Prohibition is one of those fascinating stories and Ken Burns does a great job telling it. There's early women leaders, moral imperialism, unintended consequences, strange bedfellows, fear of immigrants - and that's all in the first episode.

*Frontline - Hands down, the best 9/11 coverage I saw anywhere about top secret America. The Man Behind the Mosque was somewhat interesting as well.

*Coverage of Occupy Wall Street - I couldn't bring myself watch much more than Jon Stewart's mockery of the 24-hour news media. This is the sort of thing that's best watched spin-free, in-person first hand. If you can't make it out, the PBS NewsHour did a good job here and here. There's also lots of good streaming coverage online.

1 comment:

  1. I thought Prohibition was good as well. Such an odd moment in American history with all sorts of world views coming into conflict (violently at times) with each other. The democratizing effect it had on alcohol consumption had to be a rather surprising consequence for everyone involved.

    ReplyDelete