Monday, December 31, 2012

Rewind

'Tis the season for travelling, a whole lot of holiday parties, and movies, so not much time for t.v. this month (winter months are pretty slow for new shows, anyway).
Boardwalk Empire (Season 2) - It got so gory this season, but I guess that's how it goes when there's a war. I am not sure how historically accurate it is, but I like how they intertwine veteran's day and fighting overseas into the corruption and casualties of prohibition.
Mad Men (Season 5) -The end of the season switched into high gear and the building plot lines play out nicely.
Girls (Season 1) - I loved this show so much that I was really happy to see the dvd show up in our collection and have re-watched every episode an embarrassing amount (maybe not as embarrassing as the things that happen on the show). It's so funny, and there are so many good lines that I never tire of.
Bob's Burgers (Season 3) - Hilarious holiday hijinks! Hooray!

In my travels and winter break, I had lots of time to read. I finished the Marriage Plot.  I learned from a friends about the rumor of a main character being based on David Foster Wallace. It's not a good sign when the rumor's more interesting than the book. While enjoyable, it did not seem to go anywhere. I had similar problem with The Beautiful Things That Heaven Bears, which I really wanted to like - it's a rare thing to find an honest portrayal of gentrification in Washington, D.C. The pacing was just off, and the plot and characters just never really developed. Wonderstruck was a quick, snowy-day enjoyable young adult graphic novel. I read Ubik in preparation for seeing a play based on the book - a bit dated, much more complex than I expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment