Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Bookbunny Black Hole

*House of Cards (Season 2) - I am still in the first 5 or 6 episodes, so I only know a couple of shockers. Lots of fun to watch mainly for the Baltimore backdrops, though this season I'm getting more drawn into the drama. I went back and re-watched the first and last episode of Season 1, too, just as a refresher.
*Portlandia (Season 3) - Is it possible to finally warm up to something after 3 seasons? I actually laughed at some of the jokes this time.
 *Compliance - Terrifying! And somehow the real story is even worse!
*Adventure Time - I am still watching this now and then when I need something short to finish knitting a row. It's nice, bite-sized background watching.
*Doc Martin - I really don't know why I tried to watch it. I think I lack the patience that British people enjoy.
*The Tudors - I still watch this from time to time when I'm desperate. I'm so close to the end, but it's just so terrible.
*Snow Patrol - A highlight of winter weather for sure is the absurdity of local newscasters trying to come up with more to say about snow. The best snippet I saw this year involved climbing onto a snow bank created by the snow shovels in order to drive home the point of how tall they are.
*Olympics - Can someone please explain to me why you can't watch the Olympics online somewhere? I would love to watch them with, say, Australian commentary. The American broadcasters are just intolerable. Why do they always assume we're rooting for America?
*Downton Abbey - I love that this was on during the Super Bowl, but I haven't been so tied to it this year. Sunday I completely forgot it was on and still haven't gone back to watch it online.
*Generation Like - I had high hopes for this Frontline, and while it was good and it led me to reading lots more of the interviews online, it somehow missed the mark because it was too focused on teenagers and the "kids these days" trope. I think it could have been a better documentary if they had broadened the focus to Internet marketing and social media more broadly. But then, maybe I'm just not a teen and not a parent and so it just didn't speak to me so much.
*Girls (Season 3)  - It's so exciting to have it back! And better than ever!
Mostly this month, my head's been stuck in all the best reads of 2013 list books that I can get the library to send me. Possibly the most deserving, which had me up all hours of the night wearing my headlamp and turning pages, was The Goldfinch. At first I thought I'd never finish all 700+ pages before it was due back, but I did finish with a week to spare because I couldn't stop reading it! This is the Story of a Happy Marriage is a collection of essays, which I don't normally enjoy, but liked quite a lot. Hyperbole and a Half is a webcomic-turned-book, quick and funny read (same goes for Alone Forever). Panopticon follows an adolescent in a group home/prison-type facility in Scotland. Clever, but not amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment