Sunday, December 4, 2016

Flee to your TV

Comedy
*It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (seasons 1-3)- Thanks to a lot of knitting requests, I finally decided to watch this show that a bunch of people have suggested. I started losing interest a bit as the seasons go on - I can't believe how many there are ! - so I do not know how many I will watch. I know people are big fans of it, but with all the other good smart comedies on right now I am not sure this one holds up that well, but there are a couple funny episodes.
*Daily Show - Trevor Noah came back after Thanksgiving really swinging. He's by far my favorite late night show now, when I really need to laugh - everyone else is just making me more and more depressed with their rants, even when I agree with them.
*Atlanta - still killing it!
*Bob's Burgers - Really enjoyed the double episode weekend for Thanksgiving. The accountant-saxophonist especially made me laugh.
*Insecure - This show's hilarious! I especially love seeing small nonprofit life on screen! And I find myself with "Broken Pussy" stuck in my head from time to time. Makes me want to go back and watch some of her other work.
Drama
*Divorce - I guess the point of this show is that both of the characters are terrible so they deserve each other, but it didn't work out? I do not get it or its appeal.
*Project Runway (season 15) - Another show to knit along to, and try to ignore or fast forward through all the ridiculous product placements that I will never buy. The sleep deprivation seems more on display this season, which makes me feel especially guilty for watching it all.
News/Doc.
*News Hour - Lately, I have been spending more time with the News Hour. While I still love NPR and my Sunday Times, the News Hour's coverage just feels better to me. Maybe its their combination of depth, conversations, and integrity, but it just feels like such a breath of fresh air. I am still so sad about the loss of Gwen Ifill - she was such a fantastic journalist; her presence will be sorely missed.
*Hypernormalisation - Terrifying but very highly recommended. Don't make the mistake I did and watch the whole thing at once right before bed. We are headed toward bad times indeed.
*Weiner - Watching this seems like a distant memory to me now, but it is impressive the footage they got and I thought the directors did a good job meditating on personal & political ethics.

1 comment:

  1. Another show I recently watched that I enjoyed a lot is the Dirk Gently series on BBC America (based on the books by Douglas Adams). It's definitely in that Doctor Who vein which is getting a bit repetitive but there's enough cleverness and wit to make it worth watching. And it's only 8 episodes, so that's easy enough.

    Sunny is interesting. I've watched it throughout and loved it but have no idea how those early seasons hold up.

    ReplyDelete